Wednesday 18 March 2009

It's All Gone Boat-shaped!

It seems as if the red, blue and white nautical stripes and anchors are very much here to stay for another season. Not that I'm complaining because I do rather like that aesthetic; it's just that the fashion industry (or the high street anyway) gets less and less creative as it also gets lower and lower quality.

Take New Look par example, used to be you could get a really good pair of jeans that would last. Now, I wear jeans until they fall apart at the seams, are full of holes, covered in paint, too big and the bottoms are wrecked; I'm short and hemming jeans often ruins the cut (especially if there's a design on them or they're flared) or you feel like there's no point since they won't last long enough to merit it anyway, or you're just really lazy like moi... Anyway, up until last year I had 2 pairs of New Look jeans I absolutely adored, they lasted 4 and 5 years respectively and, had they not been entirely the wrong size, I might have made a more concerted rescue attempt (as it stands, one pair have gone to patch my brother's jeans and the other is probably going to be reborn as a handbag or something, haven't yet decided). So, having need of new jeans I thought, "hey, why not try the same place again?" No such luck. Like the majority of shops they don't cater for short people like myself (usually "petite" is still a couple of inches too long or in some cases, a couple of inches too short), easily solved but turning up the cuffs. However, one pair, 6 months down the line, the seams went gone and the crotch wore out; the other pair, after 3-4 months they went all grey and baggy (especially at the knees). I still wear the latter as they have yet to fall apart. I know they were only £10 and £6 respectively in the sale, but outwith the sale they were £30 and £25 respectively, more than I paid for the decent jeans 5 years ago. Not impressed at all.

Not all is doom and gloom though. I was recommended Marks & Spencer's by several reliable sources. They do have some nice stuff, but it's generally waaaaaaaaaay too expensive for a student budget and the rest is very conservative, middle-aged and upwards woman, so I hadn't really considered it as the place to buy jeans. Oh, but it is. You do have to hunt for the gems amongst the unfashionable and uncomfortable (I think anyway, just don't like where they sit really) high-waisted, straight-legged, boring ones, but there are nice ones there to find. I now have 2 pairs which, quelle suprise, are the right length for me and 3 months on show no signs of being poor quality. The verdict is still out on whether they last more than a year, but so far I am impressed. The waist is still too large, but, hey, that's a post for another time.

And now for the musical portion of this blog (it has gone rather musical):



Ooh, I do like me a bit of Cole Porter.



Go Sailor! Go!

Expect more music related posts, something a bit more serious and then some unbridled silliness comin' at ya like a wet flannel soon.

Peace out.

No comments: